September 30, 2002
Investigation Into Indecent Assualt in Galway

From RTE News Online

Gardaí in Galway are tonight searching for two men who indecently assaulted a fifteen-year-old schoolgirl in the city this morning.

The girl was attacked while she was walking in Eyre Square.The men approached her from behind, overpowered her and dragged her into a narrow laneway leading away from the city centre. One of them held her by the arms, the other by the legs. Both then indecently assaulted her.Gardaí say she showed great courage and presence of mind by kicking one of them and wrenching herself free. After a struggle she managed to escape and raised the alarm.Superintendent Tony Finnerty, who is leading the investigation, said they are treating the attack as very serious and are appealing to anyone who may have seen anything suspicious to get in touch with them.

Posted by paul at September 30, 2002 02:27 AM

item should be removed - allegations were later found to be false.

Posted by: on October 5, 2002 11:24 PM

I would be nore than happy to remove this item if it is indeed a case of a false allegation. Perhaps the person who posted above could let me know more details? It would be very helpful if when posting rebuttal information full information was given. There is no problem with choosing to remain anonymous but we need to check information out if possible before we can make any alterations.

Many thanks


Posted by: Colm on October 6, 2002 07:21 PM

Should this be removed. Perhaps it might also point out that _some_ claims can be false.
For the record:
The Irish Times

September 11, 2002


LENGTH: 84 words

HEADLINE: Girl withdraws attack allegation

Gardai in Galway have confirmed that there will be no further investigation into the reported attack on a teenage girl in the city centre last week, writes Lorna Siggins.

A 15-year-old girl claimed that she had been grabbed by two men at around 8 a.m. in a street off Eyre Square but had escaped after kicking one of them. The girl has since said that the attack never took place. The gardai in Mill Street station said they were treating the matter sensitively, and the case was now closed.

Posted by: Michael on October 30, 2002 08:34 AM
Post a comment

Email Address (OPTIONAL):



Remember info?