October 18, 2002
Statement of regret from Cardinal Connell

From RTE News Online

Cardinal Desmond Connell has apologised following last night's Prime Time programme which reported that the Archdiocese of Dublin is facing 450 legal actions.

In a statement this evening, the Cardinal said the victims of sexual abuse by the clergy had suffered a terrible betrayal.

He said that in many instances, the Archdiocese did not act with the necessary speed and decisiveness.

Cardinal Connell said in his statement that he fully accepted that at the time of Fr Noel Reynold's appointment to the National Rehabilitation Hospital in Dun Laoghaire, he should have informed the hospital authorities about concerns raised relating to his inappropriate behaviour with children.

Cardinal Connell also contradicted Prime Time's claim that he promoted another abuser, Fr Ivan Payne in the diocesan Regional Marriage Tribunal.

Regarding a third abuser, Fr Patrick Hughes, who the Cardinal cleared to work in America 14 years after the diocese had been told about his crimes, the statement reiterates that there was no account of the previous complaint in diocesan files.

The statement of regret goes on to say "we fully acknowledge that the failure to have such a record was a serious deficiency."

Posted by paul at October 18, 2002 09:27 PM
Comments
Post a comment
Name (OPTIONAL):


Email Address (OPTIONAL):


URL (OPTIONAL):


Comments:


Remember info?