March 03, 2003
6-mth sentence for assault on boy

From RTE News online

A 58-year-old former sailor who was described as being a member of a paedophile sex ring operating in Cobh, County Cork, has been sentenced to six months in jail for indecently assaulting a seven-year old boy.

Patrick Collins of Bellmont Place, Cobh, is currently serving a ten-year sentence for abusing four other boys.

Gardaí say he is the third member of a paedophile ring operating in Cobh to be jailed. Patrick Collins was described in court as a serial abuser.

In February 2001 he was sentenced to 15 years in jail for abusing and raping young boys aged between six and 12. That sentence was later reduced to ten years on appeal.

At the Circuit Criminal Court in Cork today, he pleaded guilty to two counts of indecently assaulting another seven-year-old boy.

The victim, now in his late teens, came forward in November 2000. The court was told the abuse had had a traumatic impact on his life.

Sergeant John Quinn told the court that subsequent investigations by Gardaí established that Collins was 'deeply involved' in a paedophile ring operating in Cobh, with his abuse taking place over three decades.

Patrick Collins is said to be the third member of this paedophile ring to be jailed. Two are serving jail sentences of six years and two years, while others are currently under investigation by Gardaí.

Judge Sean Ó Donnabháin added a further six months to the ten-year sentence Patrick Collins is already serving.

He ordered that he be placed under the supervision of the Probation and Welfare Service for four years following his release. He will also be placed on the sex offenders' register for ten years.


Audio and Video

RTE News At One: Paschal Sheehey, Southern Correspondent.

RTE 1.00 News: Pascal Sheehy, Southern Editor.



Posted by Colm at March 03, 2003 06:05 PM
Comments

This is exactly what the SaveKids campaign is all about. These kind of sentences are horrific for the victim(s).
I read in the Mirror on Saturday that a judge in the UK apologised to an abuser for giving him too harsh a sentence. He forgot to take into account the guilty plea.
"I must apologise to you. I am sorry if I put you through any trauma..."
I have drafted letters to the Minister for Justice, Michael McDowell, and Bertie Ahern, to demand immediate action on introducing new legislation. If we don't recieve a direct reply telling us that this will be done, and how soon, we will stage a protest hungerstrike outside the Dep. of Justice and/or Government buildings.
This is so sad!
Dan.

Posted by: Dan Riordan on March 4, 2003 11:26 AM

hi colm

There is now a crying need for "victim impact" statment and "appeal" to the court, to allow the victim to have input into sentencing.

we may have seen some sort of "justice", if, god forbid, the victim had been in any way related to the "judge".

Posted by: angry on March 4, 2003 05:26 PM
Post a comment
Name (OPTIONAL):


Email Address (OPTIONAL):


URL (OPTIONAL):


Comments:


Remember info?